Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Remembering Grandpa

It's been a long time since I thought of her. It seems to get farther and more distant in my memory as I begin to get older.
I now realize that it has been six years since my grandpa died and that it is understandable that I sometimes have a hard time remembering him. 
I remember at his memorial service and funeral my mom sang the song "If you can see me now"
I remember feeling like he is up in heaven rejoicing 
because now he can walk normally and he is in no more pain. 

Let me tell you a bit about my grandpa.
My grandpa was one of the most amazing people in the whole world.
He was the strong silent type but always had a joking side.
He was one of my best friends.
Every-time I would go over to his and grandma's house I would always ask him to read me the Magic school bus or Clifford the big red dog. 
He would always act like he was falling asleep when he was reading the magic school bus, 
and when he read Clifford the big red dog he would always call him... Clifford the big blue doggie instead.
And every-time we would ask him how old he was he would always say "I'm eleventy seven" instead of 77.
He had so many stories from his childhood that were so interesting as well as hilarious.
He would go to the store and buy peanuts to feed to the squirrels...
(Of  course that was before they were evil!)   
But what I will always admire him for is
He was in so much pain yet he never let anyone see it, or complained.

He was my hero.

And I will always remember my grandpa. Though it may be deep down, or hard to recall as I get older!

In loving memory of Grandpa Barr

No comments:

Post a Comment